Monday, January 12, 2015

First-Third: Topographic Models


Third grade

First grade- "I want mine to look like a heart!"

Third grade

Second grade

Second grade 

Elementary students were learning about landforms in their classroom so I thought a fun way to tie in art was to make topographic models. I showed them a slideshow of topographic maps and models and we discussed how the repetition of contour lines progressively becoming smaller or wider creates the illusion of depth and height. Topographers can also use color to show change in the features. To begin, students drew a contour of an imagined organic form, cut it out, traced it onto another sheet of paper and drew a smaller version, continuing this method until they until they went as high as they wanted.  I got a lot of help from Small Hands Big heart!  I think I'm going to have students make a name for their island or mountain and write it on a mini flag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment