Thursday, February 26, 2015

E3/4/5: Printmaking

So, I took a big risk and had my students begin this lesson by using actual linoleum cutters and cut actual linoleum. I shouldn't have taken that risk (shaking head). The linoleum I had ordered ended up being too hard and not as soft as I had expected.  The students were so excited though and had done several preliminary sketches so I let them try it out. Of course I demonstrated how to carve correctly so they wouldn't cut their other hand, but not surprisingly, within two minutes of starting I heard "Ow!" followed by another "Ow!".  We immediately switched to styrofoam sheets and, although it wasn't as satisfying a process as carving linoleum, it was still really cool to see the end result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment